Thursday, June 2, 2011

regifting...

A confession from a pastor...I regift. People are incredibly generous to pastors, and I'm very grateful to the generosity I've been given by many, many people. Often times they express their love for me and Sara Beth with a simple note, a gift card to a nice restaraunt, or my favorite...cash money.

But with every good thing, some gifts I've gotten are just not something I'm going to use. A Sandy Patty Christmas Album?...NAH. Christian breath mints?...Seriously!

Last night, I regifted a preaching point.

I listen/watch/read/digest a lot of preaching material from multiple pastors and great leaders from around the world. I love to find quotes that really drive home a point for the listener. But last night, I went deep into the well to an acronym my good buddy Dean Inserra used one night years ago when he was asked to speak improntu to a group of middle schoolers. Here was the acronym...

F - Faithful
A - Available
T - Teachable

The point of Dean's message...God doesn't want perfect people, he wants FAT people. Out all things that I've inhaled over the last 10 years of study, this is one acronym that sticks out like Shaq among a playground full of migits. I'll never forget, and I pulled it out last night. It's funny. It's unexpected. And most importantly, it sticks. God uses FAT people. Don't ever forget that you don't have to be perfect, just FAT.

Dean, thanks for the gift that keeps on giving.

2 comments:

Daniel said...

You are the coolest Mike. I like the Shaq analogy. DD

Jan said...

Hi Mike. Please be on the look out for a new friend, Erica C. She will probably be there Wed. night. Entering 9th grade at RFM from WG. You've met her mom at the store. She is Daryl's bookkeeper. She is excited and nervous. I spoke with Karleebeth and Kay about her and both of them said they would be on the look out for her, too. Thanks. You and SB are the best!